30 Day Writing Challenge - Day 9

Topic: Your Feelings On Ageism

Not going to lie... I had to look this up since I had no idea what it meant.

Ageism: is stereotyping and discriminating against individuals or groups on the basis of their age.

I am guilty of this. I see the older person in a car driving, and totally blame their lack of driving skills on the fact that they are old.  In some cases, their driving skills are due to their older age, and some times not.

I perceive younger people as not mature enough to deal with issues. But I have to remember, I was that person. I was the immature young person. I was unable to deal with issues. I'm probably still that immature person to someone who is older and considered to be more mature than me.

There has to be more than what I notice going on in this world. Is there any solution to this? I am not entirely sure about that. I think just from having to read about this topic, I'm going to be more aware of times I might do this.

I believe that if you have never heard of it either, maybe you will think twice before judging someone on their age.

Comments

Post a Comment