30 Day Writing Challenge - Day 7

Topic: What Tattoos You Have And If They Have Meaning.

Love this topic! Why? Because I am always fascinated by people's tattoos, and I'm sure people would get annoyed with me if I asked them what their tattoos all meant. Although, I bet it would strike up some interesting conversations... Kinda like what mine are all about.

I will start with my first tattoo. It's located on my left shoulder blade, and it is a Canadian Maple Leaf with two rowing oars crossed behind it. It is rarely seen. There was a reason for this.... 



I was 17, involved with the St. John's Rowing Club at the competitive level, and we were going on a trip to Ontario and Quebec for two competitions. 

I do have a little rebel streak in me, so I will digress with the tattoo conversation...Years earlier I went to a store and had gotten my ear lopes pierced a second time. I wore my hair down and hid the fact that I had gotten them done again from my mom. I was scared to show her, and knew she would freak a little.  After the healing process was done and there was no chance of them overgrowing, I started to wear my hair up, little by little, until one day she saw and asked me about it. Yes, she freaked a little, but the damage was done.  Fast-forward a few more years, and I got my scaffold pierced. That would be your upper ear.



My sister and I went at the same time, got this done together, and this time we didn't hide it. Yes, mom freaked again....

Let's go back to the tattoos. I'm 17 (almost 18), away from home in a different province, rebel me kicked in.  We were in Montreal, we had spare time to shop and wander the streets before our competition.  The girl that was our coxie and I went to St. Catherine's Street, found a tattoo and piercing parlor and in we went.  She wanted to get her belly button pierced. She lied about her age, got it done. I lied about my age as well. I had to be 18. It was close enough, one month wasn't going to hurt. I had my little picture, ready to go, had it copied and placed on my back. Tattoo Time! It didn't take very long, didn't really hurt, but there you go. Permanently placed and never to be erased.  I love it.  I may not be involved with rowing right now, but this was and is a sport that I truly loved and enjoyed. I remember my parents talking, and they were impressed that I was responsible and dedicated enough to get up at 5:00 to 5:30 every morning and head down to the club for practice.  There were tough days, but I loved it. This tattoo, I hid it... for many years. Even when I was swimming, I made sure my mom was in front of me, never seeing my bare back. I covered it with a towel getting out of the shower and walking to my room.  It was 6 years later when I finally gave in and didn't hide it.  We were doing deep water aerobics and I had gotten ahead of my mom in the pool. Yup. She saw it. She freaked out again :) Starting to see a pattern here...

Then comes tattoo #2. This one is very special to me.



About 5 years ago, my brother started talking about getting another tattoo. He was trying to design something that him, my sister and I could get together. Something that would tie us all together in ink.  You see, my brother has a different dad from my sister and I, but you wouldn't know unless you know us.  He was creating a tattoo that would also symbolize that we are all from the same mother. *insert weepy mom moment* She wasn't happy at first that we all were conspiring to get a tattoo, and essentially having my sister get her FIRST tattoo.

This is what he came up with after a few designs.  A Celtic knot (to include the Irish background), some added flare, and the colors of our three birth stones. Emerald, for my sister, Aquamarine for my brother, and Sapphire for me.  We each went to the tattoo store on the same day, and all three of us got the same tattoo, just in different locations.


Lastly, my third tattoo. It is located on the back of my left calf.  Only got it this summer. However, it's been one that I have been thinking about for a good 3 years... just couldn't decide on a design. I was wanting a tattoo that would incorporate Hayden and I, somehow. I just didn't know how.  I love the idea of astrology symbols, myself being Virgo and Hayden being Sagittarius. I enjoy reading what the interpretation of these symbols mean for a person. There are lots of parallels that I see from these. I also wanted to use the idea that these symbols are also backed on the Water, Earth, Fire and Air concepts.  I am Earth and Hayden is Fire. I had talked to a couple of tattoo artists, and it was difficult to get both the symbols combined.  I had found an image online that I really liked and decided to focus on that.  In the end, this was what the tattoo artist drew for me, I picked out the intensity of colors I wanted in it, and away we went.


Yes.. my mom wasn't too pleased with this either... *MEEP* (ps. LOVE YOU MOM!!!)

Am I done? Will these be the only tattoos I get? I haven't decided that yet... There is truth to the saying for everyone who has gotten ink... Once you get one, you can't seem to stop. :)




Comments